At Sulam we believe that special education begins in the general education classroom.
Using Universal Design for Learning (UDL), a research-based framework, the Sulam Professional Development team provides teachers with training to design lessons that reduce learning barriers and increase access for ALL students.
Sulam offers professional development workshops and educational training to schools in the Greater Washington area, and nationally.
Educational Training and Support includes:
- Universal Design for Learning
- Introductory Workshop in Universal Design for Learning (UDL).
- Workshops for Ongoing Learning in UDL.
- Professional Learning Communities (PLC) support and coaching.
- Observations and feedback: All observations are facilitative and non-evaluative.
- Sulam created newsletter featuring highlights of work accomplished by members of PLC plus other useful information and resources.
Sulam also provides workshops in special education practices. These can be customized to the needs of the school.
Sample Titles of Sulam Special Education Workshops include:
- Introduction to Universal Design for Learning - A holistic and research based approach to teaching that elevates the level of instruction and engagement for all students, including those with learning differences.
- Classroom Management - Powerful practices that will reduce challenging behaviors and bring the joy of teaching back into the classroom.
- A Primer on Developmental Disabilities - Red flags, symptoms and signs: What are some strategies to help students with disabilities succeed. Specific disabilities addressed will include: ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Language-based learning disabilities, anxiety, Intellectual disabilities, executive functioning.